سال انتشار: ۱۳۸۲

محل انتشار: چهارمین همایش ملی انرژی

تعداد صفحات: ۱۰

نویسنده(ها):

Bakht – Managing Director, Bangladesh Gas Field CO. Itd.
Rahman – Professor, Bangladesh university of Engineering Technology

چکیده:

Natural gas, some coal, hydro electricity and imported petroleum constitute about 69% commercial energy of Bangladesh. The rest 31% are agricultural residues, forestry, cow-dung etc. All these are leading to a per capita energy consumption of about 139 kg OE. The emissions of raw gas and discharges from the power and industry sectors etc. have damaging impacts. Extraction of coal and accidental blowouts, chemicals, condensates etc. during drilling, production, refining and handling operations of oil and gas are also the issues of environmental concern. The basic environmental management strategy has evolved from the need to protect human health and environment from degradation resulting from impact of harnessing to utilization of energy. These environmental issues are being taken care of by the energy administration of the country. The environmental pollution control Ordinance 1977 was the first official regulatory framework to provide for the control, prevention and abatement of pollution in Bangladesh and repealed the water pollution ordinance 1970. Thereafter Department of Environment of the Government of Bangladesh has formulated Environmental Quality Standards in 1991 and Environmental Policy in 1992 with commitment for sustainable development. Environment Conservation Act 1995 and Rules 1997 define ecologically critical areas and set environmental standards for air, water, noise, odor, waste discharge and emission. Yet, continuous review and identification of the drawbacks and shortcomings of ECR 97 and compliance of the standards with environmental guidelines in energy projects would help an echo – friendly development and shall in turn contribute to create instances for others to follow.